Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Tonight's Prayer For My Daughter


One of my favorite books, and one of the most important books of all time is Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. 

So you can imagine my delight when I came across this piece of artwork while down in St. Augustine. Not only because it's from Farenheit, but because these words sum up exactly what I want for my daughter. 

I want her to see the world. Not just in books and movies; not superficially for the purpose of taking a selfie which she can post to facebook, Instagram, or whatever kids are using when she is old enough to have such a thing; and not briefly. I want her to REALLY SEE the world. I want her to stuff her eyes and her heart with wonder and live as though each day was her last because, as Bradbury wrote, there are no guarantees or securities. I want her to shake the tree and knock the great sloth down on his ass. 

As I said in an earlier post, I want her to live. I want her to find a passion and follow it. 

Lord, help me guide her so that she might really see the world the way you intended it to be seen and to live a life that is fulfilling to your will and to her. Help stuff her eyes with wonder and her heart with joy, compassion, grace and love. Enable me to teach her about the things that really matter in this life so that she may pursue her passions with a pure heart. Amen.

And for the record, I went into that store to buy this with the intention of hanging it above her crib. Then they told me it was $400 and something dollars. No thanks! Any Pinterest pros out there? How can make one of these myself?

No comments:

Post a Comment