Sunday, December 28, 2014

Sometimes We Just Need That Reminder

As my husband, J and I left my in-laws' at 10pm on Christmas Eve, the biggest thing weighing on my mind was the need to assemble J's Potterybarn "Anywhere Chair" as well as stuff her stocking and wrap three wayward presents. We wouldn't be getting to my mom's house until after midnight, so I was hoping that we could get it done fairly quickly. 

We picked up the dog and by 10:30 we were en route to New England when my mom called to tell us that their well pump had just broken. They had no water in the house and although the well companies all have an emergency number, they don't do emergencies at 10:30 on Christmas Eve.

My husband, unwilling to spend Christmas in a hotel (or a house with no running water) turned the car around and went back to his mother's house. We would spend the night there, shower and bathe J in the morning, and then head to my mom's.

 I was so upset and thinking that this would be one of the worst Christmases ever. I did not want to travel on Christmas morning, and I wanted J to wake up and come downstairs to see that Santa had come (even though at barely 8 months I know she couldn't have cared less). And I needed that stupid chair assembled!!! I needed to give my daughter the perfect first Christmas experience. How foolish I was.

It wasn't until the day after Christmas when I was reminded about what truly matters, and nothing from Potterybarn makes that list.

One of the women from my mom's group asked for prayers on behalf of family friends who were in a horrific car accident on Christmas Eve which left the dad in critical condition. Worse, their 12 year old daughter succumbed to her injuries on Christmas night. 

Today, a little girl lost her battle with Krabbe Disease just two weeks shy of her second birthday. 

My heart hurts so much for these families and the countless others who have encountered tragedies this Christmas. I found myself ashamed that while I was upset about assembling a silly chair, another family was being rushed to the hospital; while I was worried about giving my daughter the "perfect Christmas", yet another family was simply praying that their little girl would make it to Christmas.

As I lay here in bed, listening to my own perfect, healthy and happy little girl snoring away in her crib, I can't help but close my eyes and fervently thank God for...well, for everything. Having a healthy daughter, my brother just returned safely home from Afghanistan, and a house with running water; friends who travelled to spend time with us; listening to J's peals of laughter as she plays with my mom in the other room; my husband making it safely back to Florida. All of that made for a perfect Christmas.

I guess sometimes we all need a little reminding about what is truly important in our lives. So tonight, be reminded of the blessings you have in your life and, be it to God, the universe or some other, higher power, say thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment