Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Tex-Mex Quinoa Bake

Every so often my husband and I like to mix it up and go vegetarian for a few days. I feel like it cleans out my whole system (there may be absolutely zero truth to that, but that's how I feel). Anyway, although it looks like birdseed, quinoa is both protein- and fiber-rich and this recipe actually makes it taste great. I found this in my September 2014 issue of Clean Eating Magazine.

Ingredients:

  • Olive oil cooking spray (I used Safflower Oil)
  • 1 cup quinoa, rinsed (I used the multi-colored quinoa and rarely rinse because I'm lazy)
  • 1/2 tsp plus 1/8 tsp sea salt, divided (I used kosher salt)
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp ground coriander
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 small, sweet onion, finely chopped (this manual food processor is my FAVE for chopping onions!!!)
  • 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped (sometimes I use different colors because it's fun)
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup frozen corn kernels (I used a can)
  • 1 15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 4 oz shredded Mexican cheese blend of a mix of half cheddar and half Jack cheese (about 1 cup packed)
  • 1/4 cup packed chopped fresh cilantro leaves (I usually have this on hand when I make this dish because I make fresh guacamole to go with it. However, I've made it without and it is still good)
Tools Used:
  • Preheat oven to 350
  • In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Stir in quinoa and 1/2 tsp salt. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and rest, covered, for 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add cumin and coriander, and stir gently to combine.
  • Meanwhile, in a large skillet on medium-high, heat oil. Add onion, bell pepper, black pepper, and remaining 1/8 tsp salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned (about 8-10 minutes). 
  • Add corn and 1/4 cup water (I don't add the water when using canned corn which is most of the time) and simmer until most of the liquid evaporates and the corn is heated through, about 3 minutes. 
  • Add black beans and cook, stirring occasionally until heated through, about 1 minute. 
  • Add mixture to the bowl with cooked quinoa and stir gently to combine. Stir in 3 oz cheese and cilantro.
  • Transfer quinoa mixture to a baking dish and sprinkle remaining 1 oz cheese over top. Bake until cheese is melted, 10-12 minutes. Rest for 5 minutes before serving. 
  • Top with freshly made guacamole and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment