Monday, January 12, 2015

The First Week

I love the NyQuil commercial with the dad who walks into his son's room and says that he will be needing a sick day. But in reality, dads don't take sick days - they take NyQuil.

My cold got the better of me last week and while I couldn't take a day off from J, I did take a few days off from writing. And while I still have some lingering congestion, my head no longer feels like a giant water balloon and I'm not about to drop dead from exhaustion.

So days 5 and 6 of my Wheat Belly diet were pretty decent. I don't remember which day was which, but my breakfasts were pretty much the same: two egg whites and one whole egg. One day I added fresh baby spinach and some feta cheese, while the other day I just added a slice of swiss.

Lunches were leftovers: I finished up my minestrone soup and the other day I had....I actually don't remember.

Dinners: I made a roast chicken and brussels sprouts and the other night was steak and sautéed green beans.

I gave myself Saturday off. And it was bad. Bagel for breakfast, chicken sandwich for lunch, and eggplant parmesan for dinner with chocolate cake for dessert (in all fairness, dessert happened because we went to family's house for dinner)!

Sunday was better: eggs for brunch and I made Spanish chicken for dinner. Normally I serve this dish over rice, but I skipped that last night and served it with sautéed green beans.

The scale was down a total of 1lb. Yup. That's it. Despite the gallons of water and tea that I drank all week, the lack of salt and sugar in my diet together with the lack of carbs and snacks. Granted, I didn't work out at all because I was sick, but the fact that the scale only budged 1 pound isn't exactly encouraging.

My biggest problem, however, with this diet is that I love to cook. I love finding new recipes or tweaking a recipe to make it my own. Now, when I come across a recipe that looks or sounds yummy,  I find myself saying "well, can't make that because it calls for bread crumbs", or something like that.

So I'm thinking that I'll give it another couple of weeks and see what happens once I add workouts to the mix.

And for now, I'm off to make some chicken noodle soup...sans noodles.  

No comments:

Post a Comment