Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Minestrone Soup

This soup is so easy to make and is a great way to get rid of those veggies in your fridge that are looking a little...well, less than fresh.

Being sick and exhausted, I did this as quickly as I could. There's a lot you can add to this soup (zucchini, fresh green beans, kidney beans, ground beef or turkey, tiny pasta, etc.) but I kept it simple this time.

Ingredients:

  • 1 large (or two medium) yellow onions, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3-4 stalks of celery
  • 4-5 carrots, peeled and sliced. Or you can use a few handfuls of chopped baby carrots - I never measure these out. I just add however many I want)
  • 5 cups beef broth
  • 1 can diced tomatoes (I don't drain them)
  • 1 can tomato sauce
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • Palmful of italian seasoning
Directions: 
  • In a medium-large soup pot, saute onion, garlic and celery until softened in vegetable oil. 
  • Stir in the broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, pepper and seasonings. Bring to a boil. 
  • Reduce heat, cover and simmer for one hour. 
If you want to add zucchini, beans, pasta, add after one hour and then simmer another 20 minutes before serving. 

If adding ground beef or turkey, cook the meat first and then add with the zucchini, beans, etc. 

Top with freshly grated parmesan cheese and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment