Sunday, November 23, 2014

Chicken Pot Pie

Mmmmm.....comfort food. 

This is a great recipe because you can pretty much use what you already have in your fridge or freezer. I had celery and carrots that weren't looking so pretty anymore, so this is what I came up with. 

I don't always measure things out but I think I kept pretty good track with this one. 

Ingredients:
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut up with my new favorite tool - Pampered Chef's Professional Shears
  • 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
  • 4 celery stalks, sliced
  • 1 onion (I never chop these by hand. I use my amazing manual food processor)
  • Salt and pepper
  • Two frozen, deep dish pie crusts (because I absolutely hate making pie crust from scratch). I took them out of the freezer just before I started cooking and they were perfectly defrosted by the time I was ready to use them.
  • 1 1/3 cups chicken broth
  • 1 stick of butter
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
You can add whatever floats your boat - peas, potatoes, corn, whatever. I prefer to stick to plain old onion, carrots and celery. 

Directions:
  • Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
  • Chop everything up. Season chicken pieces with some salt and pepper.
  • Add butter (1 Tbsp at a time - I think I used about 4-5 Tbsp) to 12" executive skillet  until melted. 
  • Sautee onion, carrot, celery and chicken in butter until cooked (add more butter if necessary).
  • Once the chicken is fully cooked, move the mixture into one of the pie crusts using a scoop 'n drain.
    • I put the pie on a baking sheet just in case anything bubbles out while cooking.  


  • In the same skillet, make a rue (this is 5 Tbsp butter plus 1/3 cup flour and whisk into a clumpy mess. See top left picture)
  • Add chicken broth and milk to the rue (top right)
  • Whisk over medium heat until nice and thick (bottom left)
  • Pour the thickened mixture over the chicken mixture in the crust. You may not use all of it - I had some left over that I discarded (bottom right)

  • Take the second pie crust and loosen the edges. Drop it on top of the filled crust and let it sit there for a minute or two. I think the heat from the bottom crust will help loosen the top just enough so it falls right out. 

  • Using pre-made pie crusts doesn't yield you the most beautiful of creations, but it works. Pinch the edges of the top and bottom crust together. 
  • Put in the oven for 30 minutes. 
  • When it's done, let it sit for 5-10 minutes (my husband couldn't wait and cut into it before I even had a chance to take a picture of the finished product!!! I was putting J to bed. But you get the gist.)


Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment