Monday, November 24, 2014

5 Reasons Why Everyone Should Shop Locally This Year



"What does it mean to GoLo? When you GoLO, you're making a conscious choice to think "outside the box," avoid the malls and instead patronize the locally owned, locally operated businesses in Jacksonville's historic urban core neighborhoods. These local "Indie" stores play important roles in our communities. They help sustain appealing, compact, walkable neighborhoods, enshrine diversity and choice, and promote a vibrant local economy. 
Fortunately, going LO isn't hard. Because that's also where you'll find the city's best boutiques, restaurants and bars--not to mention communities with unique character, friendly faces and unparalleled style. Please support your Locally Owned, Locally Operated businesses. GoLO."


I used to think that shopping locally meant spending more. As I've stated a million times throughout this blog, I am a bargain junkie. I rarely shop full price and or without coupons. Therefore, while I would love to help support local business owners, I love saving even more. 

However, a recent visit to my local specialty toy store and children's clothing boutique has really changed my feelings on shopping locally. 

During my first visit to one of my local shops, I simply browsed and snapped some pictures of the toys that interested me. When I got home, I took the time to look up each toy on Amazon, eBay, and any other websites I could find to check out the store's markup. I was pleased to find that this particular store charges only what each toy is worth. No astronomical markups!

When I went back to the store earlier this week, the owner's mom gave me the most personal shopping experience that I have ever had, and it was amazing! She showed me age appropriate toys not only for J, but for the other children in our family for whom I was shopping and gave me her honest opinions on each. The shop has so many unique toys that you won't find in your local Toys R Us, Target, Wal-Mart, etc. which makes it easy to become overwhelmed. This is precisely why shopping locally is the way to go.  

Why Shop Locally?

1. You get a personalized shopping experience. 

2. Small boutiques are not going to be as crowded and crazy as large chain stores. 

3. You're supporting your neighbors and their families by helping keep them in business.

4. You are certain to find unique and high quality items that you will not find in the big chains.

5. Gift wrap. This may sound crazy, but there's something about having a gift wrapped that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. These days, many stores won't even give you boxes with your purchase anymore. Or, they'll give you a box but only if you pay extra for it. However, most of these mom and pop shops will not only give you a box, but they'll wrap it for you too. And I just love that about them. 

Support your neighbors this year and try shopping locally. Your community will thank you for it!



No comments:

Post a Comment