Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Chicken Lemon Soup


It's autumn back in New England which means that I probably would have already made this soup a dozen times or so. 

After moving in Florida, I actually felt sad when I thought it would be hot all the time because I wouldn't be able to make this soup. It's so delicious and it is my husband's favorite. So you can imagine my excitement when the temperatures down here have dipped into the upper 50s. It's super easy to make, so here is the recipe. 

Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup chopped onion
  • 1/3 cup chopped celery
  • 1/2 cup chopped carrot (I put crinkle cut carrots in mine this time because they're what was in the fridge).
  • 2 Tbsp butter (I find I always end up needing more)
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 cans low sodium chicken broth
  • 1 cup cooked chicken (I buy whatever is on sale, cook it and throw it in here. I've also used a rotisserie chicken when in a hurry as well as leftovers)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/8 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 cup 2% milk
  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp white wine (optional - and I think I've only added this once or twice)
  • Lemon pepper seasoning to taste
Directions:
  • In a large pot, sauté carrot, onion and celery in butter until tender (picture 1 - top left) 
  • Stir in flour until blended (should be thick and clumpy; picture 2 - top right)
  • Slowly stir in broth
  • Add rice (oh yeah I forgot about that. I never add rice anymore), chicken, salt, pepper and garlic (picture 3 - bottom left). I also dump in tons of lemon pepper seasoning here. This is a soup that my husband and I both like with a lot of extra added flavor. So I typically load up.
  • Bring to boil
  • Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for around 15 minutes (sometimes it goes longer if I'm busy doing something else. If this happens, just make sure to scrape the bottom of the pot as you stir.)
  • Reduce heat to low and add milk, lemon juice and wine (if using). Cook 5-10 minutes more and serve (picture 4 - bottom right).

Chicken Lemon Soup

I've doubled and tripled this recipe and have made it so many times that I rarely measure anything out. Even the veggies - I think I did 1/2 an onion, 2 celery stalks and a handful or two of carrots. 

It's a hearty, creamy soup that everyone will love. I would have let Baby J try it out but I put way too much lemon pepper seasoning in there. Maybe next time I'll stick to the actual recipe so she could try it. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment