Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Finishing Out My Pregnancy with GD

I was officially diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes (GD) about two weeks ago. I failed my one hour Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT) with a whopping 170 (it should have been at or below 130).

My new OB (whose office I LOVE and will talk about later) sent me for a two hour GTT (thank God for small favors because the old office was sending me for a three hour). The fasting blood test was normal, the two hour blood test was normal, but I failed the one hour again. Make sense?

I had to start seeing an Endocrinologist who basically told me that my blood sugar spikes but comes down relatively quickly so I should be good with just monitoring my diet and spacing out my meals. Easy enough. I now have to test my blood sugar four times a day: once in the morning right after I wake up and then two hours after every meal. Again, it's pretty easy and I'm able to see which foods make me spike...no more Mac n' Cheeseburger with fries from Cheesecake Factory (which is probably a good thing).

I had a follow-up appointment yesterday and asked him why my morning levels are higher than normal. I mean, I test my blood before I even have my morning coffee so what gives? The doctor told me that I have to start making sure I have a snack before bed because my body can't go that long without food.

So last night I ate some trail mix (I really don't have a huge appetite so I had to force it down) before bed. When I woke up at 1:42am (I'm always up in the middle of the night for a pee break) I finished the bowl. Then I tested at 6am and it was STILL too high. Obviously the trail mix didn't cut it.

I have to fax him my log in a week and if snacking before bed and in the middle of the night doesn't help then I may need a shot of insulin before bed. This part is especially hard because like I said, I'm not one of those pregnant women who is hungry all the time. Ugh.

The risks to our baby are scary - GD could result in a larger baby who would probably need to be delivered early and therefore could be underdeveloped. At least that's what the Endocrinologist said.

I'm seeing the OB tomorrow and will see what he has to say. He'll also be doing another anatomy scan so hopefully she's not growing bigger or faster than normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment