Monday, March 10, 2014

A Week's Worth of Dinner: Day 1

Seeing as how it is a real possibility (I'll know in a couple of days) that I will end up on some insulin for the remainder of my pregnancy, I figured it's a good time to start making sure that I eat super healthy foods.

I did really well the first few months of pregnancy (it helped that my biggest cravings were Cream of Wheat, fruit and fresh vegetables) but have really fallen into some bad habits. Baby Daddy is an accountant and it's his busy season which means lots of quick [and usually unhealthy] dinners for me. I think I'm going to give up eating out for Lent (better late than never right?)

Also, I have absolutely no idea how much weight I've gained. I know I started out heavier than I would have liked to have been, and for that reason I have made clear at every appointment that they are not to tell me my weight. I remind the doctor to simply tell me if I'm gaining too much or too little. As of last week's appointment, the doctor said my gain has been absolutely perfect. I guess that's as good as it can possibly get when it comes to gaining weight. 

Anyway, a colleague of mine who really eats well gave me this quick and easy, one pot recipe for lentil stew that happens to be delicious (I was wary of lentils since they're not something I typically eat). This was actually the second time [in one week] that I made it. That means it's officially become a staple, so I figured I'd share it.

Lentil Stew
Ingredients: 
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 strips of bacon (chopped up)
Chopped carrots (no set amount - just eyeball it and add however much/little you want)
1 chopped potato
1/2-3/4 cup French Green Lentils (rinsed - I don't soak them)
1/2 cup canned tomato sauce
Basil
Salt (I use kosher salt)
**I just eyeball the seasoning. Last night I just used a palmful of a basil/oregano/tomato blend I happened to have in the spice cabinet**
Water or broth (enough to cover what's in the pot. I've used beef broth and water with some bullion thrown in and both have been good)
Parmesan cheese rind (not necessary)

Directions: 
1. Sautee bacon in olive oil
2. Add carrots and potato and sautee for 3-5 minutes
3. Add lentils and sautee for 3-5 minutes
4. Stir in tomato sauce 
5. Add basil, salt, and water/broth. 
*Here is where I toss in the cheese rind
6. Let cook about 40-45 minutes and then serve. 

I doubled the recipe for last night's dinner because the leftovers are even better the next day, so I wanted to be sure I had some. 

We LOVE spicy food in our house so I actually meant to add some crushed red pepper, but I forgot. I will definitely be trying that next time though. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment