Wednesday, February 5, 2014

All things pink



Preparing for a little girl is just crazy.  In an earlier post I think I mentioned how I had always dreamed of having a girl, but now that I am, it's just still so amazing.  

After finding out that our little girl is growing as she should be and feeling her really dance in there over the past week, it's becoming more and more real.  And, being blessed enough to know that I am carrying a healthy baby and having had no complications (praying it stays that way), I think it's safe to start thinking about all of the fun stuff that goes along with having a girl: coming home outfit, clothes, piano lessons, ponies, mani-pedis, and all of the other girly-girl things.

Now I know there are people out there who would "flame" me for this kind of thing.  I've come across enough people who think it's wrong to refer to "gender" because that's something for a child to decide, but I just can't get on board with that mentality.  So for now, I am having a girl, and I will buy her a pony before I buy her a tool kit.    

Kate Middleton

For starters, I love Kate.  I am still throwing Catherine out there as a possible name for our daughter (although hubs shoots it down every time).  She is beautiful, elegant, and really seems to be as down to earth as a member of the royal family can be.  Not to mention that I love all things British.  Hey - some people (especially where I live) are all about their Italian heritage.  Me?  I'm all about my British heritage.  I love them.  About three years ago I became obsessed with learning everything I could about England's notorious Tudor Family and ever since then, I have really embraced by British roots - even going so far as to make the trip to Ellis Island where I found my great-grandmother's name in the book as having come over from Liverpool.  I'm especially proud of the royal family for embracing a commoner who is as flawless and fabulous as the Duchess of Cambridge.  

When Will and Kate introduced Prince George, of course everyone wanted to know everything.  Luckily for me, enough was found out and made public within hours of their first public appearance outside of the hospital.  What I was really interested in, however, was to see what the little prince was wearing.  That was mildly disappointing since he was swaddled in a white blanket.  The blanket, however, was identified as the "Super-fine Merino Wool Christening Shawl" by a British company called G.H. Hurt and Son.  The link is here.  

Prince George swaddled in his G.H. Hurt Super-fine Merino Christening Shawl


It is a well-known fact that anything Kate wears sells out within hours, so I have never actually tried to get anything she owns (and I probably couldn't afford half of it anyway!)  However, I figured I would try and look into this blanket.  Of course, it was on back order for a minimum of eight weeks.  But hey!  I had plenty of time to wait, so I went ahead and placed my order.  This order marked my first experience with "baby brain".  It was $45 for the blanket and $20 for shipping from the UK to the US.  I thought to myself, "another reason to love Kate - she's so reasonable!"  I happily typed in my credit card number and approved my $65 purchase before heading up to bed.  Fast forward to the next morning.

My eyes opened and the first thing that popped into my head was, "oh.my.God.  The blanket was NOT $65 USD...it was 65 GPB!"  Oops.  So long story short, this blanket cost me a grand total of $102.  But it came - my first ever "Copy Kate" purchase as seen on Prince George.  Its description really does it justice.  It is super-fine (by fine I mean super delicate) and I can't wait to swaddle our little girl in it and it is already draped over the side of her crib.  Nope...not an ounce of regret.

My first "Copy Kate" purchase
When searching for a coming home outfit, of course I would like to splurge.  I mean, this is a HUGE event and while I will most likely be wearing my trusty yoga pants and some kind of nursing top, I figure that our little girl can steal the show in a fabulous outfit.  I found this subtle little gem, but was disappointed that it doesn't have a matching hat.  For $85 it's not that bad.  But I definitely haven't gone out and ordered it just yet.
Baby Burberry
As it turns out, I'm almost glad I didn't order it.  Last weekend I went to a local children's boutique (it used to be one of my grandma's favorite stores when she was looking for a baby gift) and I found this beautiful white, 3-piece ensemble.  It has a side-snap shirt and there's something about babies dressed in all white that I love.  Not to mention those delicate little flowers - it's precious.  Of course, I had to grab this one.  At $53 it was no bargain, but I plan on building a shadow box and this will fit into it nicely.  And can we talk about how perfectly the trim on the top matches the G.H. Hurt shawl?  She will definitely be ready for her close-ups in this outfit.

Sippy's Babes Coming Home Outfit
It's by a company called Sippy's Babes.  Honestly, I've never heard of it and I'm sure the boutique marked up the price, but I really do love this outfit.  I googled them and it seems to be a company that makes baby clothing to order.  You can choose your own color and trim - the trim on this particular outfit is Venetian Daisy.  The only thing I don't love about this outfit is the fact that the pants are so plain.  I'd probably love it even more if there was some trim on the bottom to match the top and the hat.  Oh well.

To be honest, I'm sure that I'll buy at least another 3-5 coming home outfits over the next three months.  It's a good thing that she already owns my husband completely - he never complains when I buy her something nice - she's already Daddy's little princess :)     



No comments:

Post a Comment